Fergal Connolly’s all-in-one Indonesian fried rice dish is traditionally served for breakfast, but it’s every bit as good to whip up for a weekend lunch or a dinner-a-deux.
- 200g basmati rice
- 2 tbsp oil, for frying
- 5 Asian shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 fresh birdseye chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp kecap manis (see note)
- 2 eggs
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- hot sauce, to taste
- sliced cucumber
- chilli threads
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions, then set aside to cool completely.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wok or large, heavy-based frying pan.
- Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook for 5–6 minutes, until wilted and starting to crisp up. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, shrimp paste, ginger and chillies. Cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes, then stir in the tomato puree and kecap manis and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the cooked, cooled rice, making sure that all the grains are nicely separated. Cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes, until heated through and the grains are well coated.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining oil in a small frying pan and set over a high heat.
- When the oil is super-hot, carefully crack in an egg and allow it to cook until a little frilly crispy edge has formed. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the other egg.
- Mound the rice onto warm plates and lay an egg on each portion. Top with spring onions, hot sauce, sliced cucumber, crispy shallots and chilli threads.
Kecap manis is sweet Indonesian soy sauce. If you can’t find it, mix a little regular dark soy sauce with some honey.
Recipe from ‘Haynes Publishing’s Fakeaway Manual’ by Fergal Connolly, RRP £22.99. For more information and to order, click here